antler

View previous topic View next topic Go down

antler

Post by the barnacle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

i have noticed a rise in the use of antler for dog chews -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puredog-stagbar-antler-chew-stag-bar-pure-puppy-dental-care-puppy-teeth-cleaning-/250973206039?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item801335818e

next time you need some might be worth a look in the local pet shop

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: antler

Post by skalla on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 pm

wow, i was not expecting that!

it could be easier than ordering from Highland Horn, but their whole antler at @ £11 a kilo is great value - i got a whole single antler with 4 good tines, 1 smallish roll for a hammer and a long boney crown bit for a larger hammer in my kilo's worth.. the crown and first tine would have made an awesome authentic flint miners pick too. i also got some superb cow horns too.. the cut end holds 2.5 pints and as soon as i find some time (meh) i will finish making it drinkable from... wassail! t'other spiralled one may eventually become a blowing horn too. eventually..

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:11 am

That's useful to know, the last time I bought an antler on EBay it cost an arm and a leg, prices seem to have spiralled lately. I wonder how large those chews are.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:18 am

nice horn Skalla. - i am working in scotland over the next month so might see if i can call in on a few shops, -

not sure what size the chews are but they might start to sell them in pet shopes so well worth a look if they do.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Antler dog chews is a new one on me, I'm very tempted to get some!
Also try folk who make traditional walking sticks, they have lots of antler off-cuts knocking around.
Failing that there will be a local deer society/wellfair organisation in your county with no idea what to do with all of those shed antlers they have in that shed... rendeer

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:42 am

I used to order them of ebay, you could pick up a whole antle during shedding season for £20 with 10 tines, but nowadays the price has doubled.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 pm

found a whole Stag bar stand in a small but well stocked pet shop the other day, and nearly wet myself, although on inspection the antlers are cut a little on the short side but the ones with the crowns looked good. Would advise careful selection when buying a stag bar for knapping as they do vary alot, good to see though!

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum