why do we rock bash?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

why do we rock bash?

Post by the barnacle on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 am

sounds sad but the first thing i was thinking about this morning was knapping, i cant go detecting today as i am taking my daughter swimming later,
what is it that drives us to Knap or in my case turn big lumps of rock into smaller ones (@:
I have always loved histry and the back to basics part - when i do somthing i always like to try to do it as it would of been done in its day like fire lighting, i like the idea of knapping with natural tools,
What drove you the the life of knapping?

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: why do we rock bash?

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

For me it was curiosity as to how these tools where made, I had found loads of flake tools whilst searching and had a dry flint wall in my garden, after a while the wall got smaller and the pile of debutage got bigger!
I was using a ball pien hammer and quartzite hammerstones so progress was slow (short steep flakes and lots of hinges) and eventually bought off cuts of antler from walking stick maker at some cost, and found them hard to use too, but at least I could thin out kinda!

I was at an event where John Lord was knapping and I said I did some knapping but not much, I'd get frustrated and go back to metalwork, he asked what's the problem? and I said It all starts off ok and then goes horribly wrong! he said hmmm... more platform preperation!
He was right, I was rushing.

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:46 pm

hmmmm - perhaps thats my problem i try to rush the strike without to much thought or preperation.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Native on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Good question barnacle.

I get asked the question a lot especially when people find out that I teach primitive technologies for a living. A lot people cant get there heads around the idea of learning to knap, tan hides, collect wild edibles etc , when we don't have a need too as society provides it for us.

I'm often asked why bother?.. I've never found an adequate answer, but for me, I'm trying to live theses skills, as I feel much more of a connection to my distant ancestors and the natural environment. I don't give much thought to the idea of the end of the world etc but learning these skills also gives me a greater confidence.

Native
Spaller
Spaller

http://www.nativeawareness.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 am

The best/worst question I was asked by a muggle during a knapping demo was "What do you hope to achieve at the end of all this?"

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 am

mr.hertzian cone wrote:The best/worst question I was asked by a muggle during a knapping demo was "What do you hope to achieve at the end of all this?"
in my case the answer would be to re gravel my complete garden in flint chips Shocked
seriouse i think the answer for me is that i see tools and items made in the past and feel an urge to find out how they were made and how people lived.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top