Favourite Wood to Work with

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Favourite Wood to Work with

Post by grendel on Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm

In the past I bought some wood from hardwood shops, but these days I gather my wood from my local woods. I'm becoming an increasing fan of Sycamore, it's about about the right harness, nice and solid when dried out and relatively easy to work when green, also it has the most beautiful bark, that rich smooth chocolate brown colour on younger pieces which which has made me of late start to leave the bark on pieces I work.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Favourite Wood to Work with

Post by the barnacle on Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 pm

I am a big fan of nut wood as it is native to the uk I have made quite a few items with it including some plant pyramids for the garden.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 pm

I developed a prejudice towards Sycamore over the last few years having cut down loads of the things from a wood where they swamped the native trees. I made a nice stick for a friend from some and hear it's good for spoons, but i never really took to the look of the stuff.
My own favourite is Hawthorn and i built up a stock of great long and straightish pieces (hard to find!) from a hedge that had been flailed about ten years ago and then left. The regrowth made superb walking sticks. It's simply beautiful wood - nobbles, grain, colour, weight.. it polishes up wonderfully too and looks great with beeswax or danish oil. Offcuts go to making teaspoons too.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top