Clubs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubs

Post by skalla on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:02 pm

It doesnt matter if they are for splitting skulls, finding a mate, cracking walnuts or just hanging up in your cave to look mean - Clubs are cool Smile

I have a few hanging around, yunno, just in case i see anyone sniffing around my flint pile

My first ever Club x It swings so nice.  I saved it from a woodpile, and it's possibly Hawthorn.

The one at the top is a long-ish, nice heavy Blackthorn cudgel.  Quite nasty.
T'other is Beech, and feels the most cave-y i think

And finally a Hawthorn club which fair thrums with deadly intent when held.. and a simple Blackthorn club.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubs

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 pm

To me the blackthorn club looks like a potential Ishi stick! Did you see the quartzite Neolithic one I posted a while back? Do a forum search for pestle maul if not! Awesome work BTW...

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am

Not enough people are into clubs, they tend to be ignored in favour of more glamorous stuff. The Aboriginals of Australia for example never used knapped weapons despite making some ferocious looking stuff for ceremonies, they always preferred clubs

I really like the shape of the beech one.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks chaps - a lumpy bit of tree to swing around really is one of life's simple pleasures Cool

While i like good old fashioned lumpy club, some of the carved war-clubs from the pacific islands are outrageously lethal and quite gorgeous too.  Edinburgh Museum has (or had) a great many on display and they are awesome.  One day i shall be sure to try doing a few inspired by them, and a bladed gunstock would be something hang over the fire too.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 am

Another interesting one is paddles. While in Central America they used clubs, the North Americans were using paddles. Much more light and weidy than a club, very aerodynamic and does damage based on velocity rather than weight and most likely much more conducive to a complex martial art.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 am

Indeedy! I've seen some fab war-paddles from New Zealand and the Pacific and i will have to look up North American ones. They are quite fearsome weapons, fast as well as having an almost bladed edge for minimal impact area and maximum bone breaking power.  I've seen ones with great big beaks/points too - nasty.  I may have to look up some pics and post a few.
Potentially fairly easy to make from a plank too, fancy carving aside.  They are totally on the to-do list.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 pm

interesting, I have never thought of making a club - for fathers day my daughter got me a new bushcraft knife, its razor sharp and have been thinking what I could make - maybe a walk in the forest is on the cards. although I wouldn't want to be seen lurking in the trees with a club - lol

Last edited by the barnacle on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:46 pm

I've often been caught in the woods doing minor surgery on trees, examining pines closely for wounds or getting excited over fungus.  It beats being caught in someones's front garden at night taking a knife to the leather sofa they left out for the binmen Shocked

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I just came across some high-level geekery on the subject of wooden hitty-things..... i'm fair salivating at the sight of it which possibly makes me a weirdo, but then i knew that already

i love some of the random stuff one finds of tinterweb

[url=http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1013&context=anthrotheses&sei-redir=1#search="Guianan block Club"]http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1013&context=anthrotheses&sei-redir=1#search=%22Guianan%20block%20Club%22[/url]

Last edited by skalla on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link fail)

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:39 pm

That one on page 19 looks exactly like a North American paddle. The Mexicans added obsidian blades to them.

- - - - - -

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am

The almost-axe shaped ones are v cool... blade core tech is beyond me but i have buckets of debitage and surely have some bits that would be suitable when i can clear some project time.  Ive been working on a bone blade last week that may go into a gunstock or club of some type if it does not become a spear. 
I also made some bone chisels a year or two back, and often think they would be rather effective if used as blades on a club.
Man, i have too many hobbies.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top