Bamboo Blades

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bamboo Blades

Post by skalla on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:01 pm

You may have guessed by know, but i like making weapons..

I saw a history programme a couple of years ago suggesting that there were so few finds of stone tools from prehistoric China due to the ease with which blades can be made of Bamboo with the simplest of tools. 

Here is a paper broadly on the subject

Then synchronicity struck and a skip presented me with a strip of bamboo, so out came the knives and files and i thought that i would have a go.

The Bamboo i found was a long thin section, probably representing less than an eighth of the circumference of the parent piece, and i made the following (Cthulhu is for scale):

They are stunningly simple to make - i just filed the inside edge down to make them scary sharp - they could be stropped with wet and dry or similar to hone them further.

But it is the point that is the most amazing part, using the strength of bamboo's fibre structure to superb effect. 

The following took no effort and did not blunt the point at all...Have at you, Tin O'Beans!

Behold the blood of my enemy! Yes, it's beans for tea.

Some closer pics...

First a slicer:

Then a stabber, blunted through repeated murder of tins but easily resharpened:

And a modern styled one:

And the large one that killed the tin at the start of the post:

I found this vid of a Chinese Archaeologist or Enthusiast making one with primitive tools.. it seems he's not much of a knapper though! Just keep bashing that rock, dude.

If you had a complete piece of bamboo, a spear would be really easy to make.  No wonder they did not bother smashing their thumbs to bit making stone tools!

Last edited by skalla on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: Bamboo Blades

Post by grendel on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Absolutely love that modern one, how sharp is it?

I really must get hold of some bamboo, any ideas where?

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Cheers, it fits the hand very nicely

It's similar to bone in sharpness - ie: good for flesh and green vegetation, but not very durable if you go beyond that to something like tanned leather etc - you would have to press down very hard which would wear the edge quickly.  Of course they are easily re-sharpened though.  In all seriousness, they took a no time at all to make.

The points are very strong though - surprisingly so.

As to where to get it from, i'm guessing interior design type shops may be good for dry stuff, maybe even flower and craft shops as bamboo is sometimes used as part of designs/displays etc.  I've never looked for the stuff so far mainly as i have so many different crafts i dabble with - i just took the opportunity when i saw this poking out of a skip!

It will grow in the south of england though, you may find it in garden centres.  or gardens - many stately homes etc have the stuff Wink

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top