what you up to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what you up to?

Post by the barnacle on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 am

just wondering if any one was up to anything interesting at the weekend? - I have to do a few hours work then off detecting on a field that I find the odd flint tool on so hope I am lucky.

I have started to dig my footings for my new building but the rain might stop me - I have decided to look into putting a sedum roof on it.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: what you up to?

Post by grendel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm in the process of knapping like mad to restock the online shop. This week is the first opportunity I have had as I have been doing custom jobs, but they are all finished now. So I hope today's rain stops and I can get out into the garden over the weekend.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:13 pm

sounds interesting - you must post some pics of your weekends knapping, the shop must be doing well and gives a good reason to get some knapping done - you should offer knapping classes.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:33 pm

the barnacle wrote:sounds interesting - you must post some pics of your weekends knapping, the shop must be doing well and gives a good reason to get some knapping done - you should offer knapping classes.
giving lessons is something I may do one day, a location to do this is a bit of a problem. Also finding people who want to learn. the latest work can always be seen here. http://prehistorics-uk.tumblr.com/archive

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for the link some good knapping. - I guess location would be a big concern although I would think a friendly farmer with perhaps a wood / river wouldn't mind you knapping.

the uk does seem to have a lack of knappers.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:01 pm

I've got my six year old lad with me for the weekend, and we are being joined by my folks on sunday for lunchtoo, so it's pretty much a weekend of playing for me Very Happy  We may take a womble walk tomorrow as i need to scrounge a few bits of wood - i've already roughed out another (potential) bow and it's a shame my six year old isn't sixteen as i'd have him chained to a rasp all weekend in exchange for snacks and sleep.  meh

Best of luck with your detecting, building and knapping, chaps.

skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 pm

In the 19th century apprenticeships started at 8 years old, after school. Another couple of years and you could have him rasping away.

- - - - - -

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 pm

my lad is 7 - he mows the lawn has his own veg plot and feeds the animals he is working all the time, the rain has cleared up here now.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum