cuts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cuts

Post by the barnacle on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:34 am

Me and my 6 year old sat by the front of the house as she puts it "bashing Rocks" yesterday, when I slit the end of my finger open on a sharp bit of flint - it bled for hours when her mum got home she told her I had cut my finger bashing rocks, - no sympathy here I just got one of those looks - lol Smile 

how often do you cut yourself knapping?

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Re: cuts

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I know that look, I've seen it a lot.
I keep the gloves on all the time after the gashed hand episode, all apart from pressure flaking flint but the gloves stay on for pressure flaking glass. You do get used to it.
The cut was deep and nearly got the tendon for the fore finger and passed over but didn't open up a large vein in the top of my hand.pale

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 pm

I remember that one - very nasty - I might start to wear gloves as it has come sharp I can now easily see flint taking a finger off sooner or later.

I have some rubber coated tight gloves  which I think will do the job.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:48 pm

They are very good, suprisingly good and no seams to get in the way. I've seen folk (in vids) who knap obsidion with those, and I have knapped glass in those also without incident. The "feel" is better in those type of gloves.
After the accident someone at work was theorising about there must be a way of calculating who was the knapper in Palaolithic times and later by their skeletal remains by the amount of flint cuts left on hand bones. I may have some myself by now...

mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am

plenty often especially when knapping glass. I rarely do it when actually knapping though, always when picking up a rock, abrading the rock, or on shards left on the leather pad when pressuring. The only time I actually do it when knapping is when a flake flies off and instead of heading for the floor flies into my finger. I did one like that in Lao. Normally it's bite it out but this one went so deep it was stuck, I had to get onto the bike and head to a drug store to buy tweezers, discovered medical ones are too large, the chemist told me find a dressmakers, so I had to buy a small dressmaking pair of tweezers and carried out the operation in the shop.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

This cut is still very sore - it was pretty deep, no wonder they found good use of it in the past I would thing it was widely used well after metals were discovered.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 pm

well the new flint got the better of me with a nice cut Crying or Very sad I might start to wear the thin pig skin gloves I use for tig welding as they are a good fit and soft so you can still feel the weld rod, its raining now so I have packed it in to sulk over my wound  Sad  Smile

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

I bought myself a pair of Kevlar lined welding gloves. I only wear the left one and usually only when spalling or percussion flaking a large biface. They were very stiff at first but have loosened up ok, however the flint still manages to get through them, not even Kevlar stops the stuff. The military needs to start making bullets from flint, bullet proof vests won't stand a chance.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top