Hi!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi!

Post by Mujician on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi, I just registered today. I'm looking for some advice on what I should use to practice on?! I've just bought a knapping kit from prehistorics. It seemed a lot quicker to do than making my own tools! I got as far as a copper bopper last year, and that was crooked! 
I'm a bit reluctant to use bottle bottoms, because of the issue of the curve, but there are always empties lying around I could use! Its also been suggested to me that I can use cheap magnifying glasses, and glass tiles for bathrooms etc. 
But when it comes to stones (flint/obsidian etc) what is there thats readily available that I could practice with?

Mujician
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi!

Post by the barnacle on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:07 am

Welcome to the forum, bottle bottoms are ok, put a 6" nail in the bottle head down and shake to knock the bottom out. however i am not keen on glass, can i ask which part of the country you are in - there might be a flint quarry local?

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mujician on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:06 pm

I'm in Ilkeston, Derbyshire - between Nottingham and Derby. There are lots of quarries around here - mostly for brick making and aggregate. I have never heard of flint quarries in the UK, but I did wonder last night if Fflint in wales is named that for any obvious reason. I'm originally from Cannock/Hednesford, Staffs so if theres anything in that neck of the woods I could locate it.

Mujician
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:43 pm

hi, i live just outside Cannock - no flint at all around here but there are flint quarries across in the suffolk area - there are a few good places mentioned in these threads - http://uk-knapping.forumotion.co.uk/f3-resources - also the Newbury area has alot of flint ploughed up in the fields but alot of it is frost weathered.

the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:30 am

Technically there are no flint quarries, flint is something that forms in chalk, so you need a chalk quarry. Any chalk quarry should have flint as a bye-product. Chalk hills may also yield flint, especially after long rainy periods.

- - - - - -
I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. cats look down on us but pigs treat us as equals.

Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out

grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: