Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Ideas?

4 posters

Go down

Any Ideas? Empty Any Ideas?

Post by Dorset Andy Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 pm

I can't remember if I have posted these photos before?

Here is a stone I found lying in the surf on Bournemouth beach a few years ago. I have found knapped flint tools along the beach before, but this one remains an uncertainty.

It is 110mm long, 45mm wide at its' widest end, 35mm wide at the other and 25mm thick.

Man made? Natural?

Any and all ideas welcome.

Any Ideas? 8652435285_0edd77c1cd_z

Any Ideas? 8652434863_9cac86b949_z

Any Ideas? 8653535738_3e163f6304_z

Any Ideas? 8653535202_20446f1279_z

Any Ideas? 8653534650_b66caa0732_z

Thanks for looking

Andy

Dorset Andy
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Any Ideas? Empty Re: Any Ideas?

Post by the barnacle Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:50 pm

it looks worked but as you know Beach stones can look worked when natural i think its a hard one to be certain about.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm

Wow! that is odd, do you know what the stone is, and how the other examples of that kind of stone weathers on the beach? It does look intentional/man made, and if it is I have a good idea what it could be, though it's tricky from photos... and natural cleavage and weathering by the sea makes many things look man made!
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorset Andy Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:18 am

I'm really not sure what type of stone it is? It is certainly not local and there are not any other stones of the same type to found there. It is very hard!

It appears to show wear/use at the wider end, as this is slightly concave (pics 1,2 & 4)

Go on Mr Cone, tell me what you think. This thing has been playing on mind for around 10 years!

Dorset Andy
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:40 am

I live near the Thames and a pebble beach, the amount of knapped tools and hand axes I have found, until inspect them more carefully is enormous, natural can do amazing things especially to a piece of flint bouncing around on a pebble riverbed for a century or two. I've found tools better knapped by nature than man.

However rather than just natural or man shaped a third option could be natural and used. I have several ultra flat stones I found, all perfectly natural I used for knapping so show signs of use. One is a flat square stone that the moment I found I knew would be the perfect anvil stone. I now use it for shearing and making petit tranchet arrowheads on.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:28 am

I was given a "hand axe from the beach" by someone who really should know better, and there was all natural cleavage... in both senses of the word, she and it! Evil or Very Mad Urf!
The "beast stone" is more than likely natural, and I'm sad to say this, the sea does strange things. It does remind me of a ground Beaker period stone axe of green stone with 90 degree body edge from Hillend, Penicuik, Midlothian,copying the early copper axes with the cutting edge weathered off (will post a pic once the camera software behaves) and your stone does fit within the kind of measurements you would expect for this type of axe.

The other possible identification is a soft stone fishing net weight of which has had the wider, perforated end broken off and worn down by the sea, although if I was making such a weight, I would bore a hole through the thinner end... Hmmm...
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down