Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hertfordshire

5 posters

Go down

Hertfordshire Empty Hertfordshire

Post by grendel Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Another flint quarry that supplies knappers, Anstey Chalk Quarry.

http://www.ansteyquarry.com/#/chalk-products/4564723917huge
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hertfordshire Empty Re: Hertfordshire

Post by mr.hertzian cone Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 am

Looks like damn good flint. Quote the deaf guy fom The life of Brian: "We've got lumps of it out the back!"
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat May 25, 2013 1:31 am

Looks good and white in google earth, loads of the mother chalk!
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sat May 25, 2013 7:00 am

interesting link, I was only a few mile from the quary on Friday, if only I had known lol. maybe next time - I did wonder while passing houses with knapped walls where the flint came from,
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Mon May 27, 2013 9:09 am

I have just this morning quoted a job just off the m11 so might be making a trip to the quarry in a month Very Happy
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Great, hopefully full of huge nodules of jet black flint with no inclusions being given away in large quantities free of charge.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Hertfordshire Empty Anstey Quarry flint

Post by woodwyse Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi. Has anyone obtained any flint from Anstey Quarry recently ? I'm thinking of paying them a visit soon; desperately in need of some quality lumps of flint to play with. Any feedback / info would be much appreciated.

Might call into Codicote quarry as well. Anyone able to give me a heads up on this quarry ?

I'm based in Bedford and gradually exhausting the rejects pile at my local gravel pit. Anybody have any suggestions on  sourcing quality flint locally ?

Will keep you posted on my visit to the above mentioned quarries.

woodwyse
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi woodwyse Smile  Needham Chalks near Swaffam do heaps of Grey Flints of various types and are really accommodating to knappers, there is a thread titled "suffolk flints" (iirc) with more info and they have a website too, get back to me if you have trouble locating the info - they almost give the stuff away.

Others here may chime in re other sources too
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:22 pm

skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:47 pm

woodwyse wrote:Hi. Has anyone obtained any flint from Anstey Quarry recently ? I'm thinking of paying them a visit soon; desperately in need of some quality lumps of flint to play with. Any feedback / info would be much appreciated.

Might call into Codicote quarry as well. Anyone able to give me a heads up on this quarry ?

I'm based in Bedford and gradually exhausting the rejects pile at my local gravel pit. Anybody have any suggestions on  sourcing quality flint locally ?

Will keep you posted on my visit to the above mentioned quarries.
Hi,

I've not been to Codicote but was in Hitchin a few weeks back, the hills around are made very grey inclusion filled flint, of course this doesn't mean the quarry flint is. Best to give them a ring, tell them you are an archaeological knapper and you are looking for black flint nodules. I've rung around many quarries, everyone has been really friendly and know their merchandise well, many will tell you their flint is grey, others will tell you they break up their nodules so are too small to be useful, others will recommend another quarry they know, it saves you a wasted visit.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Hertfordshire Empty Hertfordshire quarries

Post by woodwyse Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks for the swift replies guys. Will give Anstey Quarry a ring first and see what they say r.e. flint quality: It's a lot nearer to me than Castle Acre so thought I might give it a try first. If not, I will have to organise a day out to Swaffham (or even better a weekend out and check out Happisburgh too, recommended to me by Will Lord, and possibly Cromer, looks good in the photo posted on this forum). In the meantime I'll get back to scouring the rejects pile at my local gravel pit.

woodwyse
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 am

Mr Hertzian Cone gets his flint from Cromer, he even put some pics up in one post, not sure about the quality though. With beach flint it can be cracked, so best to bring your tools and spall it there, that way you come home with solid flint.

Welcome to the forum. Have you have been knapping long?  Also Did you find us on Google or did another knapper mention us?
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by woodwyse Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:45 pm

HI GRENDEL. IN RESPONSE TO YOUR LAST POST I HAVE ONLY BEEN KNAPPING SERIOUSLY FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS, DABBLED A LITTLE BIT ON CRUDDY STUFF BEFORE WITHOUT REALLY KNOWING WHAT I WAS DOING, DONE A BIT OF READING (WHITTAKER), ETC ON THE SUBJECT AND ATTENDED ONE OF WILL LORDS WORKSHOPS IN JUNE AND GENERALLY BEEN ON A FAST LEARNING CURVE SINCE THEN (HINGES, STEPS, ENDSHOCKS, AHHH! AND A HEAP OF DEBITAGE).

WILL POST SOME PICS OF MY STUFF SOON.

BEEN IN TOUCH WITH ANSTEY QUARRY AND THEY RECKON THEY HAVE 'PLENTY OF FLINT THAT WOULD SUIT MY PURPOSES' AND THAT I'M QUITE WELCOME TO VISIT THE QUARRY AND CHECK IT OUT. SO LOOKS LIKE I MIGHT BE PAYING THEM A VISIT SOON. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON.

LOOKING FORWARD TO BASHING SOME LUMPS AGAIN Very Happy!

woodwyse
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:46 am

Great I haven't been to Anstey yet, be sure to post some picks of the flint pile. Thanks.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum