Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ishi stick or long handled pressure flaker

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ishi stick or long handled pressure flaker - Page 2 Empty Re: Ishi stick or long handled pressure flaker

Post by the barnacle Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:16 pm

remember some people have thicker thumbs than others Smile mine is from a good old broom handle.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Ishi stick or long handled pressure flaker - Page 2 Empty Re: Ishi stick or long handled pressure flaker

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 pm

Fair point, go for the thicker thumbs I say!
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyberpaddy66 Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm

mr.hertzian cone wrote:
Cyberpaddy66 wrote:Sorry if this is breaking any rules about Necro Posting but I was thinking of making myself an Ishi Stick and was wondering if I could use a piece of broom stick I have lying about propping up the wall?

If that's no good then which tree (besides holly) should I be looking out for to take a small branch from?
Hi, Broom handles are fine, as long as the wood is tough as you will be putting it under a lot of stress to get good size flakes.
As for wood types to use, I would recommend cutting straight(ish) poles of wood about the diameter of your thumb:
Oak, Ash, Sycamore/Maple, Yew, Hazel, Beech, and yes, Holly! Although Holly and Sycamore are quite keen on splitting when drying out.
You generally want to end up with an Ishi stick about 50cm long so cut much longer to start with as the ends will split slightly whilst drying, it is a good idea to get the bark off a freshly cut pole of wood straight away. You can even weigh the wood to gauge when the water content has left the wood and it is good and dry. Hope this helps!

Would lashing the ends of the wood in Leather or sinew make it more durable and less prone to splitting?

Cyberpaddy66
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Definitely. Just checkout the home made ones in the pics. I'd go for a cord such as Jute though, pulled tight and waxed, it strikes me as more effective than leather, also you can pile it on thick, it would cost a fortune to do this in sinew.

http://www.goknapping.com/img-bone_ishi1.jpg
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2