Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bits and Bobs that i made

4 posters

Go down

Bits and Bobs that i made Empty Bits and Bobs that i made

Post by skalla Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Just sharing a few miscellaneous items i've made over the past few years or so.  I used to work with quite a few traditional crafters so i've had a few pointers/workshop time to help me along my way.

Firstly, the only basket i ever made:

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moyenc385z1sxumsvo1_500

A steel knife, i still need to do some filing, then temper it and put on a handle or some scales:

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moydnsaeJG1sxumsvo1_500

A snowman bead, i love bead making and must get my own kit at some point:

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moydmvodjL1sxumsvo1_500

Some more glass beads...

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moydlssBc41sxumsvo1_500

Some felt booties i made for my boy when he was a toddler, dyed with natural plant dyes

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moydl05SGo1sxumsvo1_500

And finally a rather over the top felt hat, inspired by bronze age helmets.  sort of/ish.  And yes, i am the berk who is modelling it Embarassed

Bits and Bobs that i made Tumblr_moydk4sgGC1sxumsvo1_500
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Bits and Bobs that i made Empty Re: Bits and Bobs that i made

Post by mr.hertzian cone Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Good work indeed. Keep on making stuff, for when the apocolipse happens we will be kings! Teenagers will wonder the plains starving and staring at thier I phones hoping they will work again.
On a lighter note, are the beads made of soda glass, and is it possable to make multi coloured blanks for knapping?
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Many Thanks!

The glass was all in rods of various thicknesses, supplied for the purpose, via a professional bead maker... not sure what specific types of glass would work.  The basic method of making beads is a piece of cake though, and it is one of the most absorbing crafts out there bar none.

You can absolutely make multi coloured glass blanks for knapping though, there is a thread on PP where Paleoarts uses some.... and up untill recently i used to work with a lot of glass makers and had some convos on the subject.  The issue would be that some glasses have different densities which may mean you get unpredictable fractures etc in multi coloured slabs but an expert would be able to choose glass accordingly, and they could even be moulded to shape a-la FOG blanks etc in lozenge shape with bevels etc

It would be a pain to make them without a kiln/lehr though, as you need to cool them very slowly otherwise they would crack.
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am

Nice, you could open a craft shop of your own.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 am

Cheers, at some point i may - ultimately i would like to move into more craft and skills tutoring and such, just not with the challenging behaviour/SEN clientelle i've worked with over the past decade.  The next step may be forest schools when/if school funding picks up again etc

The dream would be to own my own wood where i can run classes on trad crafts and primitive/woodland skills, but i never remember to buy lottery tickets!
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 pm

nice work - I like the glass beads - I found a roman blue bead on a field - also the Saxons made some nice beads.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Cheers! and they did indeed - all that is really needed is a metal rod for winding the glass around, the glass itself, a blowtorch or similarly temp'd flame and something to insulate the glass so it cools slowly (peeps use vermiculite for this nowadays)
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:26 pm

skalla wrote:Cheers! and they did indeed - all that is really needed is a metal rod for winding the glass around, the glass itself, a blowtorch or similarly temp'd flame and something to insulate the glass so it cools slowly (peeps use vermiculite for this nowadays)

hmmm - I think you have just given me my next project lol - making a few glass beads, how did you insulate the glass? do you wrap the material around the bead?
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 pm

nope, just a bowl full of vermiculite and stick it in, rod and all - i'll try to do a tutorial later tonight, just i wont have any pics to help illustrate the process.
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Once whilst searching some years ago I thought i'd found a saxon bead, it was in an area that the farmer had found a polychrome one, picked it up up and found it was soft.

It was bird poo.  not impressed.Mad
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down