Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flint in Kent?

3 posters

Go down

Flint in Kent? Empty Flint in Kent?

Post by Wedoku Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:27 pm

This probably sounds like a stupid question, seeing as there's flint all over the place here in east Kent, but so far I've not found anything that's been suitable for knapping (including pieces I've dug strait out of the chalk in Ramsgate, a place a friend of mine told me was famous for it's flint...). The pieces are either big enough but riddled with cracks and inclusions, or seemingly good quality (pure black and flaking well) but too small or odd-shaped to do anything with.

Is there anywhere better in my area (between Canterbury, Thanet and Dover) where I can find better size/quality flint?

Thanks

Wedoku
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Flint in Kent? Empty Re: Flint in Kent?

Post by grendel Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:23 pm

The gunflint industry in Kent was based at Norfleet, not sure where they got their flint from though. surface flint is rarely knappable though the best place to try is a working chalk quarry. 

I found this one with a quick google search, give them a bell an ask them colour of their flint. 
http://www.ovendens.com/quarries-and-tips
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Is there much on the beaches around there? Support a sutable flat nodule of flint lightly with one hand and unlight slightly and give it a tap with a hard hammer stone(like quartzite)at the same time. Listen to see if a piece of flint will ring or clunk. It's always the ringers you want. The ones that go clunk will have flaws in them.
This is true of all derived flint, as for fresh flint, and as Grendel advises; get the flint from the chalk if you can as the flint will be of much better quality as its not already battered from the processes of glaciation outwash and thermal shock damage. 
I work a lot of flint from beaches, but I do have a lot to choose from. From the tens of thousands of battered flints I look at in a search I usually come back with about a dozen bits that can be crap(ish), or excellent! The tap test does help with what to pick up though. Hope this helps...
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down