Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 arrowheads

2 posters

Go down

2 arrowheads Empty 2 arrowheads

Post by the barnacle Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

I have been given permission to share these 2 finds with you, they were picked up on a field, - love the long parallel flakes over the convex side - what method do you think they were produced - almost reminds me of the flaking done in egypt on the ceremonial knives of the Predynastic period.

2 arrowheads F110

2 arrowheads F210

2 arrowheads F310

2 arrowheads F410
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

2 arrowheads Empty Re: 2 arrowheads

Post by grendel Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:09 am

The white may be from Yorkshire. There was a parallel flaking industry there in Neolithic times. I have seen a similar examples with almost identical flake scars and shade of white patina found in Norfolk, though, likely an import as it was found beside an imported Langdale Axe. How was it made is a mystery, no modern British knapper is capable of making something that good (out of English flint), I have seen the odd example to match it in quality by modern Northern European knappers though.

Glad you provided the profile shot, it's perfectly straight and perfectly convex, we should start a debate on Neolithic flake over grind.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down