Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

+4
mr.hertzian cone
Lumpendoodle
primitive man
grendel
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted Empty UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

Post by grendel Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 am

This is something I have completely failed to find. UK suppliers only seem to have really short thin ones. I found a supplier advertising in pounds to other day, put some nice four inch nails in the shopping cart at a very reasonable price, went to pay and it turned out to be in the US and the price double for postage, so I didn't buy.

If anyone knows a UK supplier I'd be really grateful, I've only got one spare and my main flakers will need it in days.

Thanks
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted Empty Re: UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

Post by primitive man Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm

i think i have a few large copper nails in my flint knapping kit i can send you if you still need them ?

primitive man
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted Empty Re: UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

Post by grendel Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:52 am

Yes thaks, I'm pretty desperate. Down to my last nail.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by primitive man Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 pm

pm me your address and ill send some down if i can find them

primitive man
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumpendoodle Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm

I've just bought some copper nails from www.marinestore.co.uk. They seem to have quite a range, but being new at this, I don't know if they are what you are looking for.
Lumpendoodle
Lumpendoodle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.scottishdetectorist.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Thu May 05, 2011 4:41 am

Thanks, pressure flakers usually take 3-4" nails and pretty thick, so a pretty low guage. I buy a lot of my supplies from here, but the nails cost an arm and a leg. I found a cheaper supplier for nails alone a while back, I think a sailing shop, but still in the US.

http://flintknappingtools.com/
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:02 pm

My local diy shop has copper nails, but they are tiny and of no use to flintknappers, they also sell copper wire, only it's 2mm diameter max,rubbish! then I notaced they sell copper rivets at about 5 to 7 mm diameter and in varying lengths,just cut off the head and hammer and file it into a point. Another alternative is order copper rod from model suppliers, they come in virtually any diameter.

I also used to go to scrap metal merchants,but health and safety now say nooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Hope these tips are of use:roll:
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elines Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Are any of these links any use:

12x SOLID COPPER Tree Stump Killer: V.LARGE NAIL 65mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x-SOLID-COPPER-Tree-Stump-Killer-V-LARGE-NAIL-65mm-/120793206392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1fd60e78

COPPER ROUND ROD 3MM X 760MM

http://www.hindleys.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=7_58_117_134_1472&products_id=9669&oscsid=3d5a480d6ff4a96537958f4fccc78fb1

If not , then this video includes a method of converting copper wire into rod. Probably not something I could do but may be of help to others

making a copper pressure flaker part 1</SPAN>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKCca0TNE8

<p>The whole thing may be of interest too but you need reasonable metal working tools.

Elines
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveW Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Elines wrote:Are any of these links any use:

12x SOLID COPPER Tree Stump Killer: V.LARGE NAIL 65mm

Can't post the link, but it's the ebay one up there....

£3.99 for 12 or £4.99 for 30 in their ebay store Wink but are they any good?
SteveW
SteveW
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Elines Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 pm

"... Wink but are they any good?"

At this stage - as someone looking to begin knapping and not yet done any - my query is 'are they ok in principle to make a flaker?'

Somewhere I have seen references to the need for 4" (~10cm) nails and these are only 6.5cm (and proportionately thinner in diameter).

I don't even know why they have to be made out of copper and why normal steel or galvanised iron nails won't do

(I'm beginning to realise that I am probably the least experienced - for which read 'no experience' - person on this site so please be patient with me)Embarassed

Elines
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:38 pm

They don't look ok to to me, too thin., so will bend when you apply pressure.

Two reasons for copper. Authenticity, as copper was used for knapping by prehistoric people for sure and copper grips extremely well.

People may have used iron for knapping, the US Indians did after they made contact with Europeans, I would guess many more native people around the world did, such as the aboriginals. Also some archaeologists contend knapping continued in this country into the iron age, and finds on iron age sites are not simply stone age stuff getting mixed in, but iron age made. If true they may have used iron.

Iron is great for fine notching and horse nails made of soft iron generally best for the job.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elines Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Ok - thanks

Elines
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Elines Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 pm

A friend might be able to get me some copper rod 1/4" or 1/8" diameter.

If I have a choice which should I go for - I am assuming the !/4" as it will be stronger and can be reduced to 1/8" if necessary

Any advice??

Elines
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I've used 1/4 and 3/16, both work fine, but I've never tried 1/8, I would suspect it a bit thin, but it's only a guess.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elines Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

OK thanks - I will go with the 1/4"

Elines
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Also, aluminium will work on glass and obsidian, not tried it out yet.
will report back soon on that one.
I did try brass tips on black flint and that didn't work at all! I got really crazy flakes that ruined the test piece...
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumpendoodle Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm

I've got hold of some horseshoe nails, but haven't used them in anger yet.

I was thinking along the lines of using them for fine notching, so will file the edge down as this as possible. I'll give them a go this week sometime.

Have also got hold of an old tv, so will see how the the different tools react to the different knapping materials.
Lumpendoodle
Lumpendoodle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 am

i find loads of copper nails and rods while metal detecting even some big boat nails on the beaches,
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 am

where did you pick up the TV?
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumpendoodle Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:00 pm

A neighbour handed it in to us on Thursday. It works fine, and even has a built-in DVD player, but it isn't flat screen, so is unwanted.
Lumpendoodle
Lumpendoodle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey Lumpendoodle, were those nails from Marinestore any good?  I'm gonna make an Ishi stick, but if i buy a 3.99 pack (was going for the 6mm ones) i pay the same again in postage so i'd rather know these are worth th postage.

and dont call me stingey, i have scottish blood too Laughing
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:32 pm

I've been in Cornwall over the weekend and popped into a so-called Chandlers in Padstow, asking if they had any copper nails for boat building.  All they had was stripey jerseys and silly caps.  meh.  No luck in St Ives either which is daft as despite their touristy-ness they both have harbours and plenty of fishing/boating going on.

The internet it is, i guess.
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 pm

I will ask at our local builder as I did see they had copper nails last time I was in - they keep them behind the counter as they kept getting stole. I think they are expensive but sold by the bag so you would get a good amount.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by skalla Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:25 pm

cool - let me know!
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I've got a couple of suppliers now, if you are interested.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next