Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

+4
mr.hertzian cone
Lumpendoodle
primitive man
grendel
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted - Page 2 Empty Re: UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

Post by the barnacle Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 pm

skalla wrote:cool - let me know!
will do - here is some but they might be a bit thin? - http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/screws_and_fixings/nails/37165/clout_copper?gclid=CK_g7cOh8bkCFdHMtAod3zEABg
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted - Page 2 Empty Re: UK Supplier of Copper Nails for Pressure Flakers Wanted

Post by skalla Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm

I think you are probably right about them being a bit thin, Mr B.  Other suppliers are most welcome Mr G, the link Lumpendoodle supplied looks good though and i may just bite the bullet on postage sooner or later as it'll no doubt prove worthwhile.
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm

2.6mm is far too thin, you do need them to be about 6mm dia.
I think 2 gauge rod is about that size (if memory is right!)
That book I slated did mention getting cooper nails from ships' chandlers and I then spent about 2 hours trying to find the buggers on'tinternet with no joy, Grrr....
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveW Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am

I have just got a couple of bit of rod from this seller on ebay, the usual "no connection" disclaimer. arrived in two days and looks like they will make good pressure flakers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281179030256?var=580231717272&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I ordered the 10mm and 1/4" rod with a view to hammering them down to a taper that would work harden the tips at the same time as thinning them. It may have made more sense to have a 3mm rod rather than the 10mm one, but I will see how it goes.
SteveW
SteveW
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by mr.hertzian cone Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:53 pm

I would say that thicker is always better than thinner as you have more metal to work with and is less prone to bending, and hammering down to a hardened point is a very good plan. 
The 10mm rod can also be used to make a couple of punches, I had some of a similar gauge and they are still going after many years of "occasional" use when a gnarly platform refuses budge with pressure alone.
Are you going for the short handled pressure flaker or the long handled Ishi stick type? I do most of my pressure flaking with an Ishi stick if that helps...
Make both if you have enough rod. Very Happy
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:47 am

thanks for the link steve - you will have to put some picture on of your new tools,
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveW Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:47 am

mr.hertzian cone wrote:I would say that thicker is always better than thinner as you have more metal to work with and is less prone to bending, and hammering down to a hardened point is a very good plan. 
The 10mm rod can also be used to make a couple of punches, I had some of a similar gauge and they are still going after many years of "occasional" use when a gnarly platform refuses budge with pressure alone.
Are you going for the short handled pressure flaker or the long handled Ishi stick type? I do most of my pressure flaking with an Ishi stick if that helps...
Make both if you have enough rod. Very Happy

That's good to know then as I thought I may have made a boob getting the 10mm rod.

I have only used small copper nails in little flakers so far and they have been OK at best, even on small glass bottle points, time to make an ishi stick. Smile 

I'm going to have to have a look at the various tutorials on the web, and see what I can come up with. Very Happy
SteveW
SteveW
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveW Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 am

the barnacle wrote:thanks for the link steve - you will have to put some picture on of your new tools,

I'll try, I'm not sure they will be pretty though  Laughing
SteveW
SteveW
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 pm

with the ishi stick its good to make the tip easily removable. there are some good examples on here.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by grendel Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:11 pm

The only two issues I have found with copper is if it is too thin it will bend under high pressure. I have some 4mm which sometimes does. 6mm and above doesn't seem to bend at all. The other issue is you have to file it down to a tip, the thicker the more filing. I find 6mm difficult enough, 10mm sounds a real job.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2