Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for knappable material in the North of England

4 posters

Go down

Looking for knappable material in the North of England Empty Looking for knappable material in the North of England

Post by mikekeswick Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:14 am

Hi, i'm new to this forum and have been knapping on and off for a few years. I started by using glass and have learnt the basics this way...but it's a little like painting by numbers! I really want to find my own supply and work from there. Flat pieces of glass don't really do it for me now! I want the challenge of working with natural materials! A friend of mine sent me some nice flint flakes which I loved working with and have made arrowheads from them all and now i've run out.
So as the topic title says I live in the County Durham and am lokking for a source of knappable stone but can't really justify a trip down South to go and collect some flint.
I have been doing a bit of searching on knappable rocks and found out that ryholite is knappable? If so do any of you have experience with it? I'm a rock climber and can get any amount of ryholite from various crags in the Lake District but I don't really know what i'm looking for or even if it's worth searching!
So to clarify what i'm saying....does anybody know of ANY knappable stone that occurs in the North?
Actually thinking about it I'd also be happy to buy flint etc so does anybody know any #reputable sellers?
Any help gratefully recieved.

mikekeswick
Debitage Artist
Debitage Artist

Back to top Go down

Looking for knappable material in the North of England Empty Re: Looking for knappable material in the North of England

Post by grendel Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi there welcome to the forum. 

Yorkshire is a closest source of flint I know to you, there's a lot of chalk and chalk quarries there. Also I heard some on the beaches. Yorkshire was actually home to one of prehistory's finest flint industries around the Yorkshire Wold.

As a climber you may be interested in this in the Lake District, Greenstone is not enormously knappable and still fun to play with and the climb up there is something I fancy even not as a climber.

grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Looking for knappable material in the North of England Empty Re: Looking for knappable material in the North of England

Post by mr.hertzian cone Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm

Aloha! The Greenstone is actually Volcanic Tuff, used for knapping tools tools all over the world. In Africa it was used to make handaxes as well. Rhyolite is tough stuff to knap but was quarried in the States for projectile points and knives in Pennsylvania, have a look at this:
http://elfshotgallery.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/rhyolite-knapping-for-burnside.html
This chap makes alot of Inuit type repros and the blogs are quite interesting.
[url=Bookmarks Toolbar Most Visited https://uk-knapping.forumotion.co.uk/][/url]

Last edited by mr.hertzian cone on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mr.hertzian cone
mr.hertzian cone
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by the barnacle Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi Mike - welcome to the forum, - I wouldn't mind getting a few lumps of the greenstone myself, I would love to make a small axe to perhaps have as a pendent.
the barnacle
the barnacle
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down