Flint Knapping Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool

2 posters

Go down

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool Empty Easily made glass knapping multi-tool

Post by skalla Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 am

I thought i'd share a handy hammer/flaker combo i've been using a lot while knapping TV glass and bottle bottoms...

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool Craft10

It's just a hardwood stick with a 25mm copper end-cap jammed on one end (appropriately sized stick chosen and slightly rounded/champfered edged at the fitting end, it's more than secure)....  i dont changed the shape of the end cap at all.  You can use this for both hard and soft hammer style strikes.
At the other end i have a piece of beef bone shaped to fit into a drilled hole snugly.  Makes a good general purpose flaker, though it does wear more quickly than antler.
Cheap as chips and works a treat.... i've also been using the roughed up copper head to blunt edges/buff etc prior to removing flakes.
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool Empty Re: Easily made glass knapping multi-tool

Post by skalla Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 am

And a knife blade i roughed out with it, no pressure work done as yet.  It may even survive Laughing

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool Blade10
skalla
skalla
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

Back to top Go down

Easily made glass knapping multi-tool Empty Re: Easily made glass knapping multi-tool

Post by grendel Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:26 am

Perfect for a tiny blade folder, I've just done one, ideal for carrying around with you and with your wood carving skills you should do a far better job than me.
grendel
grendel
Knap Meister
Knap Meister

http://www.prehistorics.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down